European Democrat Students (EDS)
Rue du Commerce 10
E-Mail (also for Press Enquiries): students [at] epp.org
Tel.: +32 2 2854-150
Fax: +32 2 2854-141
ISSN: Print: 2033-7809 Online: 2033-7817
Publisher: European Democrat Students
Publication supported by: European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe.
of the European Union
Last Modified: May 24, 2018
This Privacy Statement explains how European Democrat Students (“European Democrat Students”, “we,” “us,” or “our”) collects, uses, and discloses your information. The Privacy Statement applies to all services.
Where applicable, you consent to the use of your information as described in this Privacy Statement each time you use our services, so we urge you to read this document in full, and Contact Us if you have any questions.
COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information also includes anonymous information that is linked to information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information does not include information that has been irreversibly anonymized or aggregated so that it can no longer enable us, whether in combination with other information or otherwise, to identify you.
Here is a description of the types of personal information we may collect and how we may use it:
What Personal Information We Collect
- Information you provide: We collect the personal information you provide—such as your name, username, or email address—when you use our services, Contact Us, participate in an online survey, participate in community discussions or chat rooms, interact with us at in-person events, or otherwise interact with us.
- Information about use of our services: When you visit our websites or cloud environment, we may collect information about the type of device you use, your device’s unique identifier, the IP address of your device, your operating system, the type of Internet browser that you use, usage information, diagnostic information, browsing information, session summary information, file attributes (including attributes for photos, videos, music, and documents), and location information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices on which you install or access our services. We may gather some of this information automatically. Where available, our services may use GPS, your IP address, and other technologies to determine a device’s approximate location to allow us to improve our services.
- Information from third parties: We may collect information from third parties, including business partners and marketing agencies.
How We Use Your Personal Information
Generally speaking, we use personal information to provide, improve, and develop our services, to communicate with you, to offer you targeted advertisements and services, and to protect us and our users.
European Democrat Students collects, processes, and determines how to process your personal information as data controller for the following purposes:
- Providing, improving, and developing our services: We use personal information to help us provide, improve, and develop our services, and advertising. This includes using personal information for purposes such as data analysis, research, and audits.
- Communicating with you: Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal information to send you marketing communications in relation to European Democrat Students’s own services; communicate with you to inform you about our policies and terms. Also subject to your prior express consent, we may share your personal information with third-party partners who may send you marketing communications in relation to their services. If you no longer wish to receive email communications for marketing purposes, please Contact Us to opt out. We may use your information to process and respond to your requests when you contact us.
For any of the uses of your data described above that require your prior express consent, note that you may withdraw your consent by Contacting Us.
- Promoting safety and security: We use personal information to help verify accounts and user activity, as well as to promote safety and security, such as by monitoring fraud and investigating suspicious or potentially illegal activity or violations of our terms or policies. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest in helping ensure the safety of our services.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
You can remove or reject cookies using your browser or device settings, but in some cases doing so may affect your ability to use our services.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with us to provide our services or help us market to customers. Personal information will only be shared by us with these companies in order to provide or improve our services, and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their own marketing purposes without your prior express consent.
We share personal information with companies that provide services on our behalf, such as website hosting; email services; marketing; sponsoring of sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions; auditing; payment processing; fulfilling customer orders; data analytics; providing customer support; conducting customer research and satisfaction surveys; and other services that assist in selling our services. These companies are obligated to protect your information and may be located wherever we operate.
Legal Compliance and Security
It may be necessary—by law or as a result of legal process, litigation, or requests from public or governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence—for us to disclose personal information. We may also disclose personal information if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
We may also disclose personal information if we determine in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect our rights and pursue available remedies, enforce our terms and conditions, investigate fraud, or protect our operations or users.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. Depending on where you live, you may have the rights described below.
You have the right to access, correct, or delete the personal information that we collect. You are also entitled to object to or restrict, at any time, the further processing of your personal information. You have the right to receive your personal information in a structured and standard format. You may lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority regarding the processing of your personal information.
To protect the privacy and the security of your personal information, we may request information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access such information, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information we maintain. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide or delete some or all of the personal information that we maintain.
You may Contact Us to exercise your rights. We will respond to your request in a reasonable timeframe, and in any event in less than 30 days.
THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES AND SERVICES
Our services, including our websites and digital media properties, may contain links to or the ability for you to access third-party websites and services. We are not responsible for the privacy practices employed by those third parties, nor are we responsible for the information or content their services contain. This Privacy Statement applies solely to information collected by us. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of any third parties before proceeding to use their websites or services.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
We may periodically change this Privacy Statement to keep pace with new technologies, industry practices, and regulatory requirements, among other reasons. We expect most such changes to be minor. Any non-material changes will take effect immediately upon posting of an updated Privacy Statement. There may, however, be cases where changes to the Privacy Statement may be more significant. In such cases, we will provide you either a prominent notice of such changes before they take effect or by directly sending you a notification.
Your continued use of our services after the effective date of the Privacy Statement means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement. If you do not agree to the revised Privacy Statement, please refrain from using our services and Contact Us to close any account you may have created.
If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Statement or its implementation, you may e-mail our Secretary General at [email protected]
Last Modified: May 24, 2018
DEFINITION OF “COOKIES”
Cookies are small pieces of text used to store information on web browsers. Cookies are widely used to store and receive identifiers and other information on computers, phones, and other devices. We also use other technologies, including data we store on your web browser or device, identifiers associated with your device, and other software, including web beacons and pixel tags, for similar purposes. In this Cookie Statement, we refer to all of these technologies as “cookies.”
TYPES OF COOKIES
- Essential cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with our websites and services and to enable essential features. If you disable these cookies, we will not be able to fulfill your requests.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies collect information about how you use our websites and services and allow us to remember the choices you make while browsing. The information these cookies collect allows us to optimize our websites and make them easier for you to use, and it does not personally identify you. If you disable or opt out of these cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites, applications, and services, and it may reduce the support or information that we can provide you.
- Analytics and customization cookies: These cookies collect information we use in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites, applications and services are being used and how effective our marketing campaigns are, and to help us customize our websites. If you disable or opt out of these cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites, applications and services, and it may reduce the support or information that we can provide you.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies collect information about your browsing or shopping history and are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same advertisement from continuously reappearing, ensuring that advertisements are properly displayed, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests. We may share this information with third parties to help create and deliver advertising personalized to you and your interests. If you disable or opt out of these cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites, applications and services, and it may reduce the support or information that we can provide you.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content on our websites and services through third-party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes.
COOKIES PLACED BY THIRD PARTIES
You may also encounter cookies on our websites, applications and services that are placed by third parties.
CONTROLLING AND OPTING OUT OF COOKIES
Your browser or device may offer settings that allow you to choose whether browser cookies are set and to delete them. For more information about these controls and to exercise your cookie preferences, visit your browser or device’s help material. If you choose to reject cookies, as noted above, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites and services.
DO NOT TRACK
Some browsers include the ability to transmit “Do Not Track” signals. We do not process or respond to “Do Not Track” signals. Instead, we adhere to the standards described in our Privacy Statement and this Cookie Statement.